Sunday, June 23, 2013

Metallic Red Smokey Cat-Eye


 I was in a rush when I did the look this morning, that's why the eyeliner isn't quite straight across my lashline. Oops! (I also need to take care of my eyebrows, I swear this cell phone camera shows EVERY imperfection.)

Products Used:
Scotch tape
Urban Decay Potion Primer (eyeshadow primer)
Sugarpill loose pigmenet in Asylum (metallic red)
Clinique eyeshadow in Midnight (matte black) and Slate (matte gray)
SHANY 180 Color Eyeshadow Palette (shimmer pinkish white, shimmer light brown)
MAC Fluidline (gel eyeliner) in Blacktrack
Brow pencil (random drugstore brand, I think Maybelline?)
Maybelline Lash Stiletto (mascara)

So, first off, I have to tell you how amazing Sugarpill loose pigments are. I can't find a red this amazing ANYWHERE else. Given, it's an uncommon color, but dang it's gorgeous.

First I prepped the lid with Urban Decay Potion Primer. With a look like this, I think a primer is absolutely necessary - a concealer just won't cut it. You really don't want the black or red to move and crease, it'll show up so clearly if they do. Next up is the secret for that sharp cat-eye look - and it's really easy. I just grabbed some scotch tape, put it on the back of my hand so it wasn't quite so sticky and painful on that sensitive eye area, and placed it following the natural curve of the lower lashline. Make sure it really sticks on that corner of your eye, you don't want any dark pigments messing up your line.

Next up, I put Sugarpill in Asylum (metallic red) on the lid with a standard eyeshadow brush (flat/stiff), just pressing the color in - don't use sweeping motions. Make sure to only put as much as you need, you don't want it transferring into the area above your crease when you open and close your eyes.

I grabbed my highlight with a fluffy eyeshadow brush and put it on the browbone. (Shany palette, just a light shimmery pink.) Next, I found a really light brown to blend the red into the highlight. This is a super light shimmery brown for me, since I'm pale as a ghost. Choose whatever blends it well for you. A matte color here would contrast the shimmers well, but I was in a glittery mood today, if you couldn't tell by the fact that I'm doing a metallic red smokey cat-eye.

Then grab your matte dark gray with a pencil brush (rounded, small tip, stiff). I used Slate by Clinique. First you're going to place it just on that outer corner, like a really thin eyeliner. Then take it up a little into the crease to create an outer-V. Now lightly blend that grey along the crease, creating a dark separation between the red and the brown. You want to take this about 2/3 through the crease. Now pull it back along that scotch tape, making that cat-eye shape. Just gently bring it out, then blend it towards your crease. I did more of a straight line, just filling in the triangle between lashline and tape. You could just as easily make it a gentle flick by just gently blending up slightly from the tape and not filling it in.

Now grab the matte black (I used Midnight by Clinique) with that pencil brush again. Put it on the same places and with the same techniques, just don't go out as far. You're just putting in more darkness, making more gradient, and smoking it up. I put this about 1/3 through the lashline. Blend well.

Next up, eyeliner! I use a gel liner, but it's really your preference. Place the eyeliner through your lashline as close as you can, then put it along that scotch tape. You can be really messy here and still get that awesome line - that's why we used the tape! Now, you can make it as thin or thick as you want, going from thin inner corner to thick outer corner will make this look even more dramatic. Mine was a bit thick today because I'm in a hurry, but I usually would just do more of a push-liner motion instead of a sweeping one if I had time. Line the waterline as well by pushing into the lower skin with your finger, not pulling it - this will flip it out without causing premature wrinkles. Make sure to join the lines in the outer corner. You can also connect the inner corner for a more dramatic look, but be aware that connecting and lining the lower line will make your eyes appear smaller, so avoid this if you have small eyes.

Now set that gel liner with more of your matte black eyeshadow. Just use a liner brush and gently sweep it over, or press it in if you absolutely don't want it to move and to be super precise. Do any of the under-eye work you need done, then take a liner brush and do a thin line of more red (Asylum by Sugarpill) and the inner corner highlight. Fill in your brows, curl your eyelashes, put on your favorite mascara (Maybelline Lash Stiletto).

Done!
Please excuse the glasses mark, I was on break at work!

No comments:

Post a Comment